Increase the Supply of Affordable Housing
- Partner with non-profit groups to expand the stock of low to moderately-priced housing.
- Support initiatives that offer in-town relocation to low-moderate income households displaced by new development.
- Encourage developers to include a range of low to moderately priced housing choices in new development.
- Expand the potential for development of accessory apartments.
- Advance equity for low/medium income and minority households.
Outcome Measures: Number of new residences affordable to individuals/families with low to moderate incomes.
Expand Mobility Options
- Expand regional transit facilities and services, incorporating buses, trains, and light rail where they make the most sense.
- Create a fully accessible greenway/bikeway system that includes connections on Bolin Creek, Booker Creek, Morgan Creek, Tanyard Branch, Fan Branch, Meadowmont and Libba Cotten Trails.
- For new development: Promote mixed-use, walkable, environments, with dense, transit-oriented development around LRT stations and along the proposed north-south BRT route.
Outcome Measures: Increased network of connected paths, with emphasis on destinations; completed connections to existing greenway network; new development focused in locations with available non-auto modes of transportation.
Promote Job Growth
- Partner with UNC, local businesses within Chapel Hill – Carrboro to promote job creation.
- Work to expand supply of office space in Chapel Hill – Carrboro, and potential incubator facilities.
- Partner with potential employment centers in providing needed infrastructure.
Outcome Measures: Increase in employment within Chapel Hill – Carrboro.
Get People Involved
- Work to promote integrity in public dialogues, and accessibility and inclusiveness of public input methods,
- Promote participation of underrepresented segments of the population, including UNC students, low-income and minority communities,
- Encourage the use of tools for surveying community opinion which remove bias against those with less time and ability to participate.
Outcome Measures: Increases in information and outreach efforts, levels of participation in policy formulation.